16. September 2009

The very long flight... #1

The flight from Vienna to Heathrow (London) and than to O'Hare (Chicago) was a very long route I took, but I actually kind of liked it. I only slept for like 2 hours because they had really awesome movies on their little movie consoles right in front of me. More of it later...

So, I started out pretty early and drove with my friends to the airport after I got my blood-thinning shot at my doctor's office. Esther and Philipp accompanied me, so I wasn't alone. The check-in went fairly fast, though we had to wait a few minutes till the check-in crew showed up. After that (I had checked-in my flight the day before so I only had to leave my bag at the bag-drop area) I was able to just drop off my bag and we waited around a little bit. The waiting area was really tiny and Esther soon had to go back to the city because she had things to do and didn't sleep very long the night before. Philipp stayed with me and we chatted around a little and walked around the premises. Since we really couldn't do much at the airport I soon decided to go into the duty free area to check out how everything looked and go through security in time. But to be frank; there was no need to do that, because my flight was late...
The boarding should have been around 1:40pm that day so the flight for London could leave at 2:10pm. For some reason we had to wait really long to actually board the buses that were supposed to drive us to the plane.
Well, finally sitting in my seat at the window and waiting for the flight to actually start I stared out at the window, finally realising that I was going to leave the country by plane for a very long time and that I actually might find something I want to pursue later in life.
The flight to London was pretty uneventful as we only had a 2 hour flight, a lot of clouds as soon as we crossed the Austrian border to Germany and only a chocolate chip cookie and some water during the actual flight.
Finally taking my leave from the plane, I stumbled through customs and security in less than 30minutes (which is really fast) and was left alone with my hand bag and purse at the airport in London Heathrow. And it's effing H U G E!!!
Since I couldn't do anything else and I was messed up enough because I forgot to actually change some money into British pounds I was walking around the airport exploring and finding this charming "little" restaurant called "Wagamama" (which also means "selfish" in Japanese). I had to pause and take a picture of it.
After locating a toilet, using the facilities and walking around a little more I finally found out which gate I had to locate at this airport and took of in search for Gate B35.

It turned out to be a gate at another building so I had to use the underground transport and a 20 minute bus drive to arrive at the right building and start the painstaking process of going thru border and security checks again. After that my fellow travellers and I were sitting around waiting for the boarding to start, which was delayed...., by 40 minutes (so I actually had to wait 2 hours and I still didn't have any money to buy something to drink).

God, was I tired and thirsty... (more coming soon)