17. September 2009

The very long flight... #2

Still tired and thirsty...

Later I realised that I'm stupid, because I did have a credit card and I could just buy my water that way. So shortly before the flight to O'Hare Chicago left I stalked one of the stores located on this side of the airport and got myself a whole bottle of water which I chugged halfway down in a few minutes. And then it was waiting time again. But finally they opened the gates and we all boarded the bus to our plane. Luckily the lady at the boarding station told me "I'm very sorry, Miss, but there seems to be a problem with the entertainment unit at your seat. If you want to use it, please talk to one of the crew onboard, so they can maybe relocate your seat and you'll be able to use the entertainment unit."
Dreading this particular conversation with the crew I just sat down on my place and hoped for the best. I had a book and music so I figured I might not need it anyway. After getting all my stuff packed up and sitting down on my place I just waited till everyone boarded the plane. Funny enough, but my entertainment system worked just fine when the security measures of the plane were announced and later the announcement form the captain. Since this worked, I figured the entertainment unit would work for everything else too - and it did.

After taking off I decided to check out the movies on board and I have to say I was really pleased. First, the seat next too me was empty, so I had room to move around. And second, they had all the new movies scheduled to come out on DVD somewhat this autumn.
They also had movies I had wanted to watch at the cinema but never came around to actually watch. So taking my sweet time I re-watched "Angels & Demons" (the second movie featuring Robert Langdon, which ran for 2 1/2 hours and I needed nearly 4 1/2 hours to complete, because our very yummy late lunch arrive - pasta with chicken, a salad, chocolate mousse with mandarin sauce, water, coke and tea - and I was having a conversation with the girl sitting 2 seats beside me). Later I also watched "The Fast & the Furious 4", as I totally missed out on that movie. After that I switched to soothing music to get some rest and I actually slept for 2 hours while trying not to have cramps in either my feet or my back. After that I woke up and got something to drink again and started watching some kids program till our breakfast/dinner arrived - 2 yummy sandwiches. Munching it I started watching the latest Star Trek Movie but only got finished an hour of it, because we were going to land in Chicago soon.

The fight over the city of Chicago was really amazing. You couldn't see a lot, because it was really dark, but the lights of the city were so beautiful and the more we neared the ground the better you could see. We still were 40 minutes late and I was glad, that I took the time in London to warn Kumama that I was going to be late at least 30 minutes. Unfortunately she and her husband were already waiting for nearly an hour when I finally arrived. But it would be way too easy if that were all. I still had to go through immigration and the guy at the booth was talking sooooooo fast and repeatedly asked me the same questions that I got kind of nervous. I still had to find my luggage and this guy wouldn't shut up. Additionally to that, I kind of fucked up my Visa Waiver application, as I forgot to add a letter in my passport number, so they couldn't find me. Fortunately that guy took a heart and let me through after repeated interrogation. I'm just happy that everything went fine and I finally arrived at the airport; 40 minutes late, tired and very, very happy.

... Too bad, I couldn't speak for the next 2 hours, because I was brain dead and not used to talking in English at all. Otherwise Kumama and Stiltzkin are doing their best to help me out, explain things to me and talk to me, so I get used to talking too. Unfortunately XD I mix up words, start forming sentences with weird words and generally forget to think before speaking.
YAAAY!

Okay, that's the tale of my flight to America. I'll try to get back to you soon.